Wednesday, 30 December 2015

2015, that was the year that was

Howdy folks, 

Well, 2015 is drawing to a close and it feels only right that I should look back, reminisce and get all retrospective. It's been a strange year of ups, downs and hilariously over ambitious goals; having switched jobs earlier in the year, gotten married and gone on honeymoon my spare time has been at a premium and I haven't been able to get a great deal of stuff done over the past year. I've been a little better recently finding some time to finish off the Panthers I started a few mo this back (photos to follow), painting a trio of King Tigers (again, photos to follow) and starting work on one or two other things, but my output and consistency has still been sporadic at best.

Consequently I'm going to try and be a little more structured this year and come up smaller, more manageable and easily achievable, objectives on a monthly basis. This should, I hope, allow me to works towards goals while also breaking them into manageable chunks and giving a greater sense of achievement because I'm actually doing what I set out to do. At least, that's the plan. 

So, for January, I'm turning my attention to the Autumn of 1944 and the German defence of The Netherlands. The local FoW community are running the first tournament of the year towards the end of January, a typical 1750 points late war affair, and not only will I be attending but I'll be dragging a certain Gav along with me. Gav will be using my 101st Airborne paratroopers, completed quite some time ago, and I will be taking, after a little thought, a detachment from 559 Schwere Panzerjägerabteilung. The bulk of the vehicle work was completed some time ago, thought in my youthful innocence I painted the crewmen field grey instead of black so will need to correct that, however a few support units are required to turn a collection of tank destroyers into a playable force. The objectives are as follows. . .

1. Correct the uniforms and rank markings of the StuG, Jagdpanther and Wirbelwind crewmen.
2. Finish off a 10.5cm howitzer battery; these are roughly 80% completed, just need to add a few final details, finish painting the guns and apply basing foliage.
3. Paint a battery of 8.8cm AA guns; these have had the basing mud finished and they've been base coated but need everything else done.
4. Paint a security platoon; like 8.8cm guns, these are base coated and the basing mud has been applied.

The above must be completed by the 23rd of January, so I've probably got a bit of a fight got on my hands, but having a few simple objectives and the goal of getting to a tournament in just over three weeks ought to keep me focused and on target.

Until next time, whenever that may be, and I hope you all have a great New Years!